Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Orthotics



For some reason that seems to make me think of old people... yet today, I was fitted for orthotics. Yes I laid on a doctors table while he made a plaster cast of my feet so that I could turn over $380 for some insoles that are supposed to make me run better. OK well let me back up, why do I even need orthotics? Well one of the after effects of running a marathon, for me, was shooting pains in my right foot. The pains came and went and some days I could run fine, but the next day I would hobble around. So I broke down and went to the foot doctor. The result? He tells me I have high arches. Duh. I could have told you that. You might think by looking at the picture of my calves that I lift weights, but that would be untrue. I was gifted with high arches and the consequence? Huge, tight calves that I want to shoot off after just about every run I go on! Now I should say that all this running definitely helped define my calves and they weren't like that before running. And don't get me wrong, I have grown to love them - except when I can't find hooker boots to fit and my jeans won't pull on cause they won't go over my calves. Other than that its great getting referred to as calf girl. A friend (male) was even over a couple of weeks ago and we had to measure to see who's was biggest. I won by 1/2 an inch (ps he is a rugby dude, biker, pretty decently fit guy).



So what happens now? I get orthotics. Will my calves shrink? Probably. So I take a picture and say goodbye (hey a girls gotta have proof so one day when my teenage sons start thinking they are all that I can show them the picture and say, "oh yeah, well back in the day your mom had 17 1/2 inch calves!"


So my adventure of letting my body "learn" how to walk or whatever will begin in a few weeks. I'll keep ya updated.....

3 comments:

B&B Goldsberry said...

wow!! I am so impressed that you ran a marathon! I think that I would rather die! I could barely do a 5k! :)

r_turner47@hotmail.com said...

No!!! What would my Bean be without her calves???

The Johnsons said...

Bean!
It's the devil! :) (Steph from USU)I found your blog off of Spawns! How is everything? I am WAY impressed both by the fact that you ran a marathon and that you have WAY nice calves!! Impressive!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...