Monday, November 17, 2008

Thankful

Most of you know that I love to cook, and more than that I love sharing my creations with others. Over the years there have been some particularly recipes that I've grown especially attached to, as have many of my friends and roommates. So today I am sharing what is probably my most popular food - Jewish Sweet Bread (or as called by some of my friends, sweet Jew bread).
I love this recipe. I love the taste of it and I love the reaction of people who eat it. First though let me give you some background on this recipe. I've now been making it for well over 10 years and I first learned it at my very first enrichment meeting. I was still in Young Woman's, but they invited all of us to a Super Saturday of sorts. I remember standing in the kitchen at the church while the Mairs' demonstrated how to make the bread (I can still remember Nicole discussing with her Mom whether the salt was really important or not). I think I walked away with a loaf of it to go home and bake and it was delicious! I started making it more often once I got to college and I've never stopped since! Out of all the things I make, I think this is Adam's favorite (or at least it was when we were dating, he may have changed now). So here's a recent picture of the glorious creation and the recipe. I hope you and your families enjoy it as much as we do!


1 pkg Yeast
1 1/4 C Warm Water
Mix together and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes till yeast is mixed through the water.
In the mean time mix together:
1 tsp Salt
1/4 C Sugar
1/4 C Oil
2 eggs
Once this is mixed, start adding flour (total of approximately 4 1/2 Cups) alternating with water/yeast mixture. Kneed the dough on a flour surface (or in a Kitchenaid), adding extra flour as needed until the dough is not too sticky. Put in a greased bowl, cover and let rise double (usually about 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on how warm or humid it is - I don't recommend leaving the dough anywhere near a running dishwasher or wash machine)
Punch down and divide dough in half. Divide each half into three parts and braid. Place on a cookie sheet and let rise again. Melt 1 cube of butter and brush half of it on before baking. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes. Spread remaining butter on after baking. If you manage to have leftovers wrap in foil or store in an air tight container. ENJOY!

9 comments:

Mama Runner Parker said...

THANKS ABBEY--I'm gonna make it.

Mama Runner Parker said...

Thanks Abbey--I'm gonna make it for sure

Ruth said...

Whoa, Beanie. You don't know what you've unleashed by releasing that recipe! Not only will Kevin be demanding it AT LEAST once a week, but I'll also be about 500 pounds. :) I can't wait!

jenny t said...

I love making this too! And I got the recipe at that same meeting (I think). Everybody is always so amazed, even though it's totally easy to whip together now after so much practice. :) We even have Jewish girls in our sorority who have tried ours and love it (they call it Challah).

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. This bread is soooo yummy. I can't wait to make it!

Kaila said...

Yay Abbey, I have always wanted this recipe and now I have it. Of course it will be gone the same nigh I make it but that just means I will make it all the time.

Alisa said...

Did you just make that bread? If you did I am coming over!

Cindy said...

This stuff is delicious! Every time my in-laws get together, they BEG me to make this. We had to make 6 loaves for Thanksgiving last year, and it ALL got eaten. Even just a regular dinner, we have to make 4 loaves if we want to get any. Yummmmmm!!!1

Brandi said...

Abbey, I had no idea that you made our Recpie...I am so glad that you have enjoyed it as much as my whole family does. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...