OK, I am not off to Africa, but these are!

What are these you might ask? Well if you are male, you may want to stop reading now.... OK, don't say I didn't warn you!

They are called moon pads, and are basically reusable, feminine hygiene products. Last fall when Kena was living in a place where she was able to accept mail, I asked if there was some sort of project our YW could work on for the girls over in the school she was teaching at. I was fairly shocked by her reply. Apparently the girls there don't have any feminine products and because of that generally stay home from school when they are on their periods. She asked if we could make 100 of these reusable pads, 2 for each girl. Sounds like a great project to me!
The YW were highly involved in the beginning and basically traced the pattern and cut every single piece out in one night! It was amazing! We not only had the basic pad, but also had to make removable liners so there was a lot of cutting! A couple of the girls were really good on the serger and were able to get started on some of the easier serging that night as well.
Since the actual serging was a little difficult due to all the curves, I took over the rest of the project (using if for a personal progress activity!) and finished them up and now they are on their way to Africa, where I hope they get lots of use!
1 comment:
abbey, you rock. what an amazing project.
Post a Comment