I figured I needed to get this recorded for my own sake and in case anyone else wants to read more, most I shared on facebook but I wanted to put it down in more detail. I first want to say I had NO indications that anything was wrong. There were no signs of going into preterm labor or anything to suggest that my water would break so soon. There was nothing that could have been done to prevent this from happening. All my appointments have gone fine, the baby has ALWAYS measured small, but other than that there were no concerns. Going into labor early has NEVER crossed my mind with this pregnancy given that the twins went past full term (for twins) and I never had any contractions or any labor signs and was barely dilated when they induced me.
On Sunday morning I woke up when Adam's alarm went off. As I laid in bed while he got ready I felt like I peed myself. I have a weak bladder during pregnancy and often have issues when I cough or sneeze but this was a little more than normal and I had to get up and change. The bed was not wet so though I thought it was strange, I didn't really think it could be my water. I got ready, went to church and everything was fine.
That afternoon I was sitting on the couch talking to Adam and all of a sudden I was super wet again, soaked through liner and my pants were pretty wet. Again, the couch as dry so I seriously doubted it could be my water and just thought my bladder control was really weak. We headed to Mesa for Sunday dinner with Adam's family and again I was fine until after dinner. I went to the bathroom 3 times in less than 10 minutes. The last time I stood up from going and wet myself. I thought this was not normal. I was just sitting on the toilet how could this even happen? We left and I called the triage nurse when we got home. She went through all my history and what happened that day. She didn't think it was my water given my history and that I had had no contractions, no aches or fevers to suggest infection and the baby was still moving. Still she said I should go get checked just to make sure since this wasn't normal.
Adam and I debated what to do. We still kinda thought everything would be fine and maybe I should just go while he stayed with the kids. In the end, we decided he should take me and we called our friend Laurel to come over. We put the kids to bed and hoped they would stay there while we were gone. We called Adam's parents to let them know to be ready just in case we needed them to come over.
We got to the hospital and they had me pee in a cup and hooked up all the monitors. I FILLED the cup plus some and had just gone to the bathroom before we left home. That's when I started to get more nervous. The baby looked fine though which as good. They tested the urine and also swabbed my so they could see if it was amniotic fluid. Adam's parents called and said they were coming but we told them to wait 10 minutes for the results. When they came back in I guess I wasn't super surprised to hear that it was my water, but I was not prepared to hear the next words that I would not be leaving until this baby came. So many emotions were going on it's so hard to even describe! I was terrified for the baby and just as much s terrified that I would now, if everything went well for the baby, be missing spending everyday for the next WEEKS without Charlie and Adella. I almost didn't know which would be worse!
We called Adam's parents to head over and also let my parents know what was going on. They started me on my IV's including antibiotics and magnesium. The antibiotics to prevent infection and the magnesium to prevent contractions. They told us if I went into actual labor they would not stop it and if I had an infection they would also have to deliver the baby. Luckily, neither of those things have happened!
They also gave me a steroid shot right away to help the baby's lungs grow. We were moved upstairs and given a room where I will be for hopefully a LONG time! I have not had any contractions and the baby is moving around just fine and has a good strong heart beat. They did an ultrsound and everything for her looks good except that I lost a LOT of fluid and she is measuring small still. But since she is doing well and I've had no contractions they took the constant monitors off me for those things and will just be monitoring a couple times a day for half an hour or so. Makes it lots more comfortable to try to rest. I'm still of course attached to the IV's.
The magnesium is AWFUL. If you are one of those people who gets dizzy from Vicodin, it's like that only more intense. It also causes me to be pretty warm sometimes. I have to be on it till tomorrow morning at 6. I've almost made it through the first 48 hours which is a big milestone as the percentage for going into labor in that time is high. After that we try to make it through the first full week. Everyday is a blessing. The longest I will go will be 34-35 weeks which means no matter what she will be put in the NICU for some time.
We are so grateful for the prayers and help being given to us. We are so happy our kids are in good hands and having a blast!
No comments:
Post a Comment