I'm a runner. That might be a pretty bold statement, but as I went running today I started to think about what makes a runner a runner. Now I haven't been on a regular running program since November of last year. I have many excuses, it was too cold was the biggest one... I could blame it on getting married, but I still managed to find time to get on the elliptical machine 3-4 times a week during our engagement, so yeah, the cold sounds good. Anyway, I digress.... I went running today for probably the third time this year (I managed to put in February when mother nature teased us with 45 degree weather; and then the day before we were married I went for a run in Arizona cause I just couldn't resist the beautiful weather). Today I ran 41 minutes (yes that 1 minute is significant!), but if you want to get technical it was more like a moderate jog. So what makes me think I am a runner? Well I will tell you. Many people might say a runner is someone who runs everyday, who can run sub 8-min miles for miles and miles, someone whose run marathons, someone who has "running shoes" and uses them only to run in, etc.... Well I say they are wrong. Yes I have trained for 5 days a week before, I've done the marathon thing, 3 half marathons, countless 10K's and 5K's and even 2 triathlons; I have "running shoes". But those things don't make me a runner. I am a runner because 6 months after running a marathon I still like to go out for a jog. I am a runner because I love the feeling of a good 41 minute run and can enjoy every minute of it. I am a runner because I know that even though my 41 minute run felt great one day, the next day a 25 minute run might feel like pure torture. I am a runner because after that 25 minute torturous run I'll get back out there and do it again the next day, because I know that there's a chance I'll have an awesome 41 minute run. I am a runner because a potentially ugly t-shirt is enough motivation for me to enter a race I know I'll never win. But most of all, I am a runner because I SAY I AM!
If you ever ponder the question "Am I a runner?" I think you've already answered the question by even thinking it. Yes you are a runner......
No comments:
Post a Comment