
So I was asked to teach a class on childhood literacy at our next enrichment. Why they asked me I have no idea. I mean I have no kids, I don't teach school and I have no background in the subject. So I'm asking for any ones ideas! So far I've come up with, ummm maybe you should read to your kids. Yeah, that's a good idea. And take them to the library. And read the scriptures as a family. And that's all I've got. Anyone got anything else? It all seems pretty obvious to me but apparently the school district has a "literacy problem" (last time I checked most schools did and are all failing their standardized tests). Help me!
5 comments:
ok, I probably have nothing good to say, but I started reading to Kate at a young age and have continued with it. I think the best time to read to your kids is before they go to bed. It settles them down, you spend time with them and I think that is how they learn to enjoy it. I know people that were not read to as children and don't enjoy reading to this day. (this doesn't apply to everyone.) We have to set a good example if we want our children to read.
There are these kid movies that i love. They are from Leap Frog. The first is The Letter Factory. It teaches the sounds of letters. My boys love the movie and even my 18 monthold now knows all the sounds. The second movie is the Talking Word Factory which teaches kids about small three letter words. Anyways I've found these cartoons to be helpful in teaching my kids their letters.
There are so many helpful things out there these days. From VSmile video games (which we also play) to hand held kid "computers" that teach the alphabet. But I think the most important thing to say just what you already said. Read to your child. Books from Sandra Boynton are great! They are my favorite...and Sam brings her books to me more than any others.
Good Luck!!!!!
I heard today that people who read a lot do better on standardized tests, esp. if they read as kids. My husband told me...I don't know where he got it, but it might be worth looking up! Good luck!
Oh I am taking a children's lit class I have a huge amount of info for you!! what is your email address and I will send you some lists of award winners,etc.
hi, andrea frahm in case you dont remember my married name. a fun web site it starfall.com it is free and for preschool up through readers. another good site is storylinonline.net they actors read books aloud. and janbrett.com has tons of things to do with books, you can buy but why when we have libraries. Good luck, congts on your marriage. I know about the running goop toni my sisters runs. hey who are chris and laura, what was her maiden name, pace? it looks like elis cousin. have a good day.
Post a Comment