Ahhh beautiful.....
For those of you lucky enough to get a ticket to the game and wondering what color you are supposed to wear. ... check this out
For those of you who haven't ever experienced the blue turf in person and wondering if the fans actually follow the pattern indicated the answer is YES!!! Here is a picture from a previous televised game :
The colors schemes change for each televised games; sometimes one half of the stadium is all blue while the other is orange, while sometimes its all blue (like when they play Oregon State) or all Orange. Its pretty much a requirement as a Bronco Fan to own apparel in all Colors. Here's another color scheme... 
Amazing!
Have you ever wondered why the field is blue? Most Boise fans know the story, but I tell ya, I get asked a lot so here it goes:
BOISE, Idaho (AP) -Twenty years after the Smurf Turf made its debut, Boise State's blue football field remains an eye-catcher.
And that's exactly what Gene Bleymaier hoped for when he came up with the idea of dying the artificial turf at Bronco Stadium.
"I guess that I'm the type of person that when I paint my house I paint it a different color so the neighbors notice you did something," said Bleymaier, in his 24th year as Boise State's athletic director.
Bleymaier was the driving force behind Boise State's blue football field, which has grown into a tourist attraction rivaling potatoes for popularity in Idaho.
Two decades later, the only non-green field is the subject of rumors and myths, opposition complaints, and pride for Boise State's players.
Bleymaier brainstormed the idea flying home from the NCAA convention in January 1986 and decided if the school was going to pay $750,000 for a new playing surface, it was going to be blue.
"I was just thinking about what we could do and how disappointed I was going to be if we just put in another green field we had seen for 15 years," Bleymaier said.
With the idea in hand, Bleymaier's next trick was getting university approval. He went straight to then president John Keiser and presented his plan, highlighting that a blue field would give the school some notoriety and an unusual home-field advantage.
Keiser went along with Bleymaier's idea and the pair kept the plan quiet until the day it was announced to the public. This was not a proposal the duo wanted available for debate.
"I knew that I couldn't talk about it because it would get blown out of the water. I would not get the support," Bleymaier said. "Really, it was kept pretty much between him and me until we actually announced it. Then, of course, there was all sorts of reaction."
The current field is the third blue surface. Twenty years after its debut, no one can envision a green field returning.
"I can't tell you how many times we get knocks on the door, with people saying, 'I'm from out of town, I'm here for the weekend, I've got to walk on the blue turf,"' Bleymaier said.
Did you know BSU has 6, that's right 6, games on National TV this year? Oh its a wonderful thing for out of state fans like myself!
Although I have a much more important event to attend to tomorrow night, the wedding of my brother in law, you can bet I will be racing home afterwards to watch the game, which is likely the biggest home game in BSU history (thank goodness for the DVR!!!!).
GO BRONCOS!!!!!
1 comment:
Seriously, GO broncos! This is the best post I've ever seen in my life! (Okay, so I'm a bit crazy!) Glad you like BSU too!
Post a Comment