We had an awesome Young Women in Excellence at the end of November. It was actually on a Stake Level, however our ward had already started planning (um I kinda love my calling and plan WAY in advance!) and purchasing stuff for it when the Stake decided to move it to the Stake level this year. So the Stake allowed us to use our theme and help with the planning. (Here is a link to this handout in full resolution)
We pretty much had the whole thing planned, the decorations, the food, the skit idea - but I must admit it was super nice to be able to pass a lot of the ideas off to other wards so we could focus on our strength- the decorations! So much of what we did would not have been possible if we would have had to prepare the skit, the musical numbers and the food.
We had a dessert table that looked like Dorothy's house with the witches legs coming out from under it (we didn't get a picture of the legs sadly!). For food we had Toto's puppy chow, Ding Dong's the Witch is Dead, Yellow Brick Roads (twinkies), and rainbow fruit kabobos. To drink we had I'm melting punch (green kool aid with dry ice!).
Along the back wall was all the display tables of the girls projects. They did some amazing things this year! That area was draped with a rainbow of chiffon fabric. I don't think the pictures do it justice because it was really cool in person. Just like you were walking under a rainbow!
A couple of the wards did a skit all about Dorothy trying to find her way home and how she could use the 8 Young Women Values to get there. The stake leaders actually found a skit online (HERE IS A LINK TO WHAT WE USED) so we didn't even have to recreate it! There was even lyrics made to Somewhere Over the Rainbow that fit with the values. It was really cool. We had an instant choir and band/orchestra do a musical number using that song. We also had a cool photo booth backdrop.
I'm so lucky to be able to work with some amazing women in our Ward who truly love the Young Women and want them to feel as special as possible!
(PS- since I know I have lots of friends working with YW, if anyone want's to use this idea for their ward let me know if you have any questions over anything we did. I can add that info if anyone wants it. The handout at the top is something I created myself and I can send that to you if you would like as well. My original idea was to give that as a handout in a frame, but the stake used it as the invite. They just added another stripe across the bottom in white that had all the information about when and where the activity was).
This is an alternate Invite I made, and here is a link to a blank copy if you want to use it for yourself




4 comments:
I would love a copy of the handout! Adorable!
Sorry! sixnephites@msn.com. Thanks!
Do you know where I can find the skit and song with the values. I would love to use it for our wards new beginnings.
This is the link to the skit, I hope this works and you find it Kara! For some reason I can't reply to your comment and I don't see an email. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2_UTOHrl899QmtHZ29uRmRwM3M/view?usp=sharing
Post a Comment