Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Dominican Republic! - Fine Dining

We ate at some really great restaurants in the DR.  The interesting thing about dining out was that food prices were fairly similar to the US if you were ordering average food, but if you ordered more expensive things like steak and seafood, the prices were so much lower than in the US.

Our first stop eating out was in a Cave!  
To get into the cave you walked down this super windy staircase

Charlie was having a lot of fun playing with Grandpa while we waited for our food


Rather than each choose a dish, we decided to get a couple of big salads and a big fun surf and turf dish to share!  
Isn't this crazy?  It had shrimp, lobster, calamari, baby octopus, steak, sausage and chicken.  And you know the price?   It was around $50!  Crazy right?  It was definitely enough to feed all four of us! 
My favorite was the steak and shrimp, the steak was cooked fabulously.  I am usually disappointed in steaks but this was sooo good.   I did try the octopus and wasn't really a fan, and I already knew I hate calamari. 

As we were leaving the restaurant, since we had extra hands we got to swing the kids in the air, which they haven't really experienced before. 

Our next restaurant was Adrian Tropical.   This was right on the beach and we got there right about sunset.  It was so pretty and relaxing!

I forgot to take pictures of the actual food, but we got a few dishes to share including arroz con pollo, flat iron steak and some yucca fritter appetizers.  Again the steak was soooo good!  I think the chefs in the DR need to come teach these American chefs how to cook steak!

Charlie is throwing a fit because he wants to walk.  That happened A.LOT. 

On our last trip to the beach, we ate at this Spanish restaurant right across from the shore.  Charlie and Adella at this point in our vacation had had just about enough of being either in the car or the stroller and wanted nothing more than to run around.  So we took turns letting them roam while we ate. 
Happiness is the sun in your face!
I decided to try my luck at steak again here just to see if it was a fluke.  I ordered filet's with Roquefort cheese sauce.   
OH.MY.GOSH.  This was sooo darn good!  The steaks were sooo tender and the sauce was so yummy!  Plus isn't it so pretty?  And you know how much this was?   Around $12!  Can you even believe that!!!  

On one of our 'extra' nights there we went to the mall.  It was a pretty spectacular mall, way up class - nicer than any mall I've ever been too!  We ate at a little place called Chef Peppers.   It was a casual dining restaurant, just a step up from fast food.  It was pretty good but nothing too out of the ordinary - well I guess except for the yucca mash which was really good!  Charlie and Adella were going crazy again so we appeased them with suckers.  



Then Charlie was a nice brother and shared his veggie straws with Adella

We had so much fun eating delicious food in the DR!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...