As I mentioned in my first post, Charlie and Adella loved eating at their little table. We were very shocked at how well they did!
This was their first meal, and since it was breakfast and something new I thought it might just be a fluke and we would end up holding them the rest of the time. But they surprised us by eating there through the whole trip!
And this was one of the last meals.
I was pretty surprised at how Americanized the grocery stores and food was.
This was their equivalent of Costco/Sam's club - Price Mart!
See how it's almost the same as here? The prices on everything were also pretty similar. Some stuff like clothes and electronics were a lot more, but other things like DVD's were lower. The food prices were relatively similar.
We picked up a few 'treats' at the grocery store to try.
The first was Habichuelas con dulce. Basically its bean pudding. Yeah, it didn't taste any better than it sounded. It wasn't completely awful, but one bite was enough!
Next was Maiz con dulce. This is pretty much the same thing except with corn instead of beans. Same result here, one bite was enough!
We grabbed some Dominican Chocolate bars to try too. These were OK, but their chocolate isn't all that great. Not the creamy stuff we get here, it seemed kinda dry and hard.
And just because they were pretty we had to also go with something we knew we would like!
I'm a sucker for a flashy doughnut! They had some really fun bright colored ones, but I went with Chocolate and caramel - I don't think I have had a caramel one before but it was yummy!
Apparently in the Caribbean they aren't fans of root beer - SAY WHAT? Seriously. I made the mistake of asking at one restaurant and they looked at me like I was crazy. Instead they drink this:
DIS.GUS.TING. Seriously, I could not keep it in my mouth long enough to even tell you what it tasted like. Adam said it was like black licorice or something. But it was really really bad.
Every Sunday night at the MTC they have an ice cream party and we decided to join in!
Charlie had his first Oreo and it was love at first bite!
While for the most part Charlie and Adella ate at their tables, sometimes they would be finished before we were and then wanted to share ours.
One morning we decided to walk to the grocery store for a few things, it was a nice little walk, but once in the store Charlie and Adella decided we were taking far too long, so Adam and I grabbed a bag of mini suckers. Seriously best 70 pesos spent all trip!
Since we ended up staying a few extra days and were going to leave right before my birthday, I requested we celebrate with brownies our last night there! We ate them with "Bon" ice cream which is the big brand down there. There are little Bon ice cream shops and vendors all over!
Here is my gang sign for 33 years old
Someone couldn't get enough ice cream!
We also ate out at some really good restaurants which I well tell about in another post.
No comments:
Post a Comment